Thursday, March 24, 2011

Breaking News

I recently had friends over for dinner, and my girl friend was helping me get things ready in the kitchen. When she pulled out a dish that had been handed down to me from my grandmother, she commented on its beauty and suggested we use it. Although I didn't immediately tackle her to the ground and wretch it out of her hand, she could tell by my expression and quick "Oh no, we can't use that! It might break!" that she had better quickly, yet carefully, back away from the dish...


When my grandmother lovingly gave me the dish when I was 11 years old, I imagine she pictured the cherished dish being used not sitting empty in my curio cabinet. Why is it then that we find ourselves fearful to put to use those items?

After my friend was a safe distance away from the dish, she told me that when her mother handed down her dinnerware to her, her mother told her to "Use it! And, when you break it, remember the night and how much joy it brought you to share it with others."  Not if... when.

My curio cabinet is filled with treasures just like my grandmother's dish. All displayed perfectly for all to see. But in reality, who's going to see it in there? Do my visitors come over and stand at my curio cabinet in awe admiring each item? No. But when we sit at the table for the meal we prepared together and they see the beautiful pattern on my mother-in-law's china, they can't help but comment on it.

I've shared with them something special, making them feel special in return. Isn't that what it's about?



And when one breaks? At least I'll know it was enjoyed to the fullest, and I can remember the night it was shared. Grandma would be please I think.

Contributed by Jennifer

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

D., Welcome to the Blogger world! Looking forward to more to come!!!

LindaSalem said...

I know what you mean about using the items but it's sometimes painful too. My mother used to use some really pretty bowls her grandmother had handed down and when I was a clumsy teenager, I broke one. My mom was really cool about it but I could tell she was hurt. I still remember the look on her face and it's been almost 50 years since the mishap. I think I'd rather have stuff like that in a curio cabinet.